New Delhi: Almonds are one of the most nutritious foods you can eat as part of a healthy, balanced diet. They are high in vitamins, minerals, protein, fibre and healthy fats. The effects of the world’s most popular tree nuts on the body, particularly weight and cardiovascular health, have been extensively researched with several studies suggesting that the food can offer major benefits. As we eagerly await to celebrate Mother’s Day on the second Sunday of May, let us tell you why every mother should add this superfood to their diet.
A mother’s health often takes a backseat while she tries to take care of the entire household’s needs. Mothers, as we know, make it a priority to ensure that every member of the family is as healthy as possible in spite of the hectic lifestyles they follow. This Mother’s Day, salute your mom and help her build a healthier lifestyle to ensure that she stays healthy and fit. Making small changes in food habits – such as adding a handful of almonds in their diet – can go a long way towards improving health in many ways. Here are some health benefits of eating almonds.
Health benefits of eating almonds
- Good for cholesterol: Almonds are high in healthy fats, unsaturated fat, which may improve a person’s blood cholesterol status if consumed in moderation. Research suggests that having a handful of almonds every day can lead to mild reductions in LDL or ‘bad’ cholesterol levels. High cholesterol is a well-known risk factor for heart disease.
- May lower blood pressure: Almonds can help control high blood pressure mainly due to the presence of magnesium. Low levels of this nutrient has been linked to high blood pressure, which is leading driver of heart attacks, stroke, and kidney failure.
- May improve blood sugar levels: Nuts are high in beneficial fats, protein and fibre but low in carbs, making them a great food for people with diabetes. Moreover, the high content of magnesium in almonds helps with metabolic syndrome and type 2 diabetes management.
- Aid in weight loss: Almonds are considered a great food to add to a weight loss diet. They are low in carbs but high in healthful fats, protein and fibre – all of which have been linked to weight loss. Almonds contain several nutrients that promote satiety and boost metabolism to some extent. Having them as part of a balanced diet may enhance weight loss.
- Packed with antioxidants: Almonds are loaded with nutrients and antioxidants that help protect against oxidative stress, which can cause inflammation, ageing, and diseases like cancer. To get the most nutrition from almonds, try not to remove their skin, which has these powerful antioxidants.
Almonds are a healthful addition to your balanced diet. They are versatile and can be eaten raw, roasted, soaked as a snack or you can simply add them to your smoothie or savoury dishes.