People who are suffering from baldness, hair thinning and/or balding patches usually resort to hair transplant in order to resolve their hair loss problems. Today, there are thousands and thousands of certified hair transplant surgeons proliferating across the globe, giving people with hair loss issues a more natural approach and one that could last a lifetime. And when it comes to hair transplant, one country seemed to stand out – Turkey.
Turkey has become one of the most popular destinations for medical tourists, especially for people who want hair transplant. In fact, more than 60,000 people went to this Euro-Asian country to have a hair transplant, and around 150-500 hair transplant procedures are done weekly.
Why More People Prefer Turkey for Hair Transplant Procedure
In 2018, the country’s hair transplant industry breached the $1 billion mark as more people and patients looked to Turkey for their hair transplant operation. Turkey’s Foreign Economic Relations Board or DEİK said that their hair transplant service is one of the many reasons why a lot of people flock, especially those from the Middle Eastern side, to their country.
Hair transplant is considered to be one of the most expensive services and one of the most difficult jobs in the world today. However, Turkey remains to be at the forefront when it comes to medical procedures like this, and here are the reasons why:
- Having your hair transplant in Turkey will save you a lot of money. It will only cost you somewhere $1,000 to $4,000 for a hair transplant in Turkey. DEİK also emphasized that despite being very affordable relatively, their hair transplant services are one of the highest standards. When asked how they can afford such low rates but provide high quality hair transplant procedure. The answer lies in their licensing. They are not as stringent as compared to the US and in Europe.
- Aside from having huge savings from their hair transplant, a side trip to the country’s top tourist destination lures patients to this enchanting country. Turkey’s is relatively cheaper when it comes to travelling, tours and hotel accommodation.
- Lastly, visiting Turkey for that hair transplant procedure allows patients to go and see other countries nearby. Situated in the middle of Europe, Asia and the Middle East, Turkey is really accessible to a lot of countries and visiting surrounding countries is also easier.
However, although Turkey provides hair treatment there are lots of hiccups when visiting this hair transplant hotspot.
- Some hair transplant clinics or facilities in Turkey may be outdated. These clinics may not have enough access when it comes to advance hair restoration technology. Some of these places may not be as sanitary as compared to the medical standards in the US and Europe.
- No Follow ups. Living abroad means going back to Turkey for after sales This would also mean spending more cash just to have a doctor or technician examine your procedure. Moreover, there is not much personal session during the initial consultation and one-on-one setting is almost zero.
Turkey’s health authorities are warning medical tourists from unscrupulous hair transplant centers across the country. Medical groups and societies, and the Turkish health Ministry are advising patients from all over to check on the veracity of the clinic, the qualification of the personnel before having their hair transplant operation. Some of these clinics and facilities are dangerous and risky. They do not have any authorized doctors nor do they follow certain health protocols. When hair transplant procedures like FUE Hair Transplant is done at an illegal clinic or was performed by unauthorized doctors, you could be heading towards certain dangers:
Unlicensed personnel performing hair transplantation operations and surgeries come with great risk. It poses real danger and complications:
- It may have adverse effects on the patient which includes skin necrosis, blindness and worse, death.
- Instead of saving money, you may end up paying more due to complications and possibly irreversible side effects.
- Wrong hair angles, improper placement of hair groups and substandard harvesting methods are often reported. Others include overharvesting of grafts, and exceeding the allowable safe limits for each procedure, and ending up with a very unattractive look.
It is always nice to visit a clinic that offers high quality services, top-class treatment and still cost way cheaper. However, the risk and dangers may far outweigh what these clinics promise. From having poorly trained doctors, unauthorized personnel, to unhygienic clinics and outdated technology and equipment, these can cause severe problems that will not only affect your scalp but on your overall health and well being.